If you haven’t read it, but are a student of leadership development, I strongly recommend John Maxwell’s book – How Successful People Lead. It’s on my recommended reading list of books for people I coach.
John lays out simple steps that each of us must “grow” through to achieve the highest level of leadership. He writes about the essential attributes and how to develop and refine them.
The five stages of leadership are:
- Position – People follow because they have to.
- Permission – People follow because they want to.
- Production – People follow because of what you have done for the organization.
- People Development – People follow because of what you have done for them personally.
- Pinnacle – People follow because of who you are and what you represent.
You will learn the upside and downside of the five, and how to master one before you attempt to move up to the next. Levels four and five are where things really take off for the leader and his or her followers and also where the major impact occurs.
I strongly recommend you add it to your virtual or physical book shelf.
Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them. – John Maxwell
To your success! Ralph